Article By Reiki Master Brooke Chang
The root chakra is one of seven primary energy centers, although there are many more energy centers within the human body. This chakra is the most primal and the foundation of your “energy body” located at the base of your spine near the coccyx or tailbone beneath the sacrum. The energy from your root chakra extends down your legs to your feet. It is associated with your connection with the earth, the sense of smell and the action of excretion.
The root chakra is the chakra of stability, security, and your basic needs. This chakra is comprised of whatever grounds you to stability in your life. This includes your basic needs such as food, water, shelter, safety, money/income as well as your emotional needs of interconnection with others.
The Coronavirus pandemic has created a sense of instability of our basic needs and severely reducing our interconnections with others who we depend on to thrive. Because of social distancing and suspension of work, many are unable to work to earn an income which also diminishes stability.
Many people have resorted to hoarding toilet paper symbolic of root chakra imbalance to compensate for their fears and panic of the instability during this pandemic. Other root chakra imbalances include eating disorders, addictions, fear, panic attacks, nightmares, worry, overthinking, depression, emotionally disconnected, disconnected from your body, and anger/rage.
Signs your root chakra is balanced or grounded:
- You’re present: you are easily able to give full focus to one task at a time. You are able to give full attention during conversations with others without losing your train of thought. You are aware of your five senses in the present moment.
- You’re rooted in your own energy: when you are rooted in your own energy, you are not easily swayed by others, or stimulated by people, places, or events.
- You’re in touch with your body: when you are in touch with your body, you are able to witness or observe what your body is telling you even when it is in pain or discomfort.
- You enjoy stillness: stillness or silence does not scare or overwhelm you as this is the opportunity to “hear” your intuition to support you.
- You trust: you consciously choose to have faith in the unknown, and feel more conviction and less fear. You trust in the voice of your intuition.
- You connect with others: a balanced root chakra creates healthy and genuine connections with others. During time of distress, you are able to reach out to others in your tribe for love and support.
- Have ability to manifest stability: you trust enough to surrender/give up your worries even when you lose your job, or face a disaster or crisis. It becomes easy for you to take action rather than be caught up in plans and analysis. You become more organized and efficient, and don’t lose things or feel chaotic.
What you can do to ground or balance your root chakra:
- Deep breathing exercises can quickly ground you, particularly in panic situations such as grocery shopping or going to public places during the Coronavirus pandemic. Make sure to breath into your belly, and your inhales should be the same length as your exhales. I recommend you do this before you enter the grocery store or public places.
- Walk on the ground/grass in your bare feet or sit on the ground/grass. This will connect your root energy to the energy of the earth quickly grounding you when you feel overwhelmed or panic.
- Spend time meditating where your mind is still and silent. Begin with just a few minutes when you start meditating, and gradually increase to 20 minutes over several meditation sessions.
- Take a bath is sea salt, found in your local grocery store. Use two tablespoons in your bath, and add sandalwood, cypress, cedarwood, rosewood, patchouli, cloves, ginger, lavender, or other essential oils for an aromatherapy experience. Burning candles with these fragrances also will have the same grounding effect.
- Eat root vegetables such as yams, beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, carrots, yuca, kohlrabi, onions, garlic, celery root (or celeriac), horseradish, daikon, turmeric, jicama, artichokes, radishes, and ginger.
- Reiki therapy treatments can clear blockages or imbalances in the root chakra, particularly if stagnant energy or blockages already exist. Reiki Distant Healing is available during the pandemic with treatments performed remotely while you are in the comfort of your home.
Please contact Brooke Chang Certified Reiki Master for a consultation or appointment at (951) 821-0825, or Contact Form. Please see Available Services at Brooke Chang Reiki Therapy. (Copyright 2020 Wan Brooke Chang with All Rights Reserved)
Please Note: This article is provided for informational purposes only, and not intended as specific holistic health advice to the reader. Therefore, reading this article does not create a practitioner/client relationship. Reiki Therapy is meant to be used as a complement to traditional care, and does not substitute for qualified medical or traditional care.